Saturday, May 8, 2010

The smell of her lotion..

My mum taught me the importance of prayer. When i was days old i was put in the ICU coz i had some health complications.The doctors didnt seem to figure out what the problem was. There was no much hope and they told her as much! But mama. She didnt give up. She prayed for me. She stopped what she was doing(knitting little booties and sweaters for me)and prayed. Miraculously i made it against all odds. She named me Kathure- the chosen one.

At home we always prayed.Sometimes,she'd wake us up at 6:00 in the morning to pray the rosary.

Growing up as the last born means i was my mama's pet. Always accompanying her everywhere she went. To church, to the market, to town, even to class when i was really young. Mum and i were inseparable.I refused to go to pre-school so i could join the class my mum was teaching : class one.

I was always mum's baby. She held me on her lap and fed me, even when i was 6.

I instisted on sleeping in her bed until i went to boarding school, where i missed her love and pampering terribly. But i knew she wanted the best for me. Thats why she sent me to the best school she could, however expensive it was with her teachers' salary. I schooled with children of the rich and very rich. At the time i pitied myself and whinned my way into more shopping on opening day. But looking back. I thank God that mama made that decision. She wanted me to be the best and to dream big.

The hardest thing i have ever done in my life was to tell mum that i was pregnant while still at campus. I still remember what she said after it sunk in. "How do you want me to help you?"

Now that am grown woman, it upsets me that i cant see mum as often as i would like to. But i try to live by what she taught me. I want her to be proud of me.

Mum makes us laugh and tells us inspiring stories. She taught me how to cook and advises me how to take care of my family. If i live to be 100, i will never forget, the sweet smell of my mama's lotion and the warmth of her embrace.

Happy Mothers Day Isabella!

2 comments:

  1. waaa!! so sweet u have made me write a nice note to my sweet luving mum , i almost forgot.thanks!

    ReplyDelete